Bureau of Elections
Absentee voting (by mail) for all county and state elections may be done by requesting an Absentee Ballot Application (pdf) from the Bureau of Elections. Complete and return the application to the Bureau of Elections and a ballot will be mailed. The time to apply for an absentee ballot varies from election to election, but it is generally 28 days prior to a Primary, General or Local Election. Contact the Bureau of Elections for further details. You may also fill out a request online at Online Absentee Request.
Early In-Person Voting
In-person voting is done at the Valencia County Administration Offices, Bureau of Elections. It begins 28 days prior to a Primary, General or Local Election and ends the Saturday before the election. It is held during regular business hours Monday through Friday.
Same Day Registration is available at the County Clerk's office beginning 28 days prior to an election, as well as all early voting sites within the County. Voter must have a Valencia County residential address in order to register. Be prepared to show a picture ID, as well as proof of residency such as a utility statement, bank statement, etc.
Early Voting Sites
Early voting at an alternate voting site is available for Primary and General elections. The 3 alternate voting sites are: (Must be approved by commission June or July).
The hours of Early Voting are Monday through Saturday, 10am-6pm.
- Belen Community Center
305 Eagle Lane
Belen, NM 87002
- Bosque Farms Public Library
1455 W Bosque Loop
Bosque Farms, NM 87068
- Valencia County Administration Offices
444 Luna Avenue
Los Lunas, NM 87031
All Early voting locations open on the 3rd Saturday preceding the election.
Early Voting Locations For Other Elections, Including the Regular Local Election May Be Different, Please view the County Clerk's Homepage for that information.
In registering to vote or casting a vote in person, physically challenged individuals may be assisted by a person of their choice. In addition, starting in 2006, specially equipped voting devices will be available at all precincts for the visually impaired voter.
Voters physically challenged who may be unable to register or vote in person at authorized locations, members of the armed forces and their families stationed overseas, and individuals who suffer medical emergencies just prior to an election should contact the Bureau of Elections for information on special procedures.
Fixed Election Schedule
- Primary Elections are held on the 1st Tuesday after the first Monday in June of each even-numbered year.
- General Elections are held on the 1st Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each even-numbered year.
- Local Election Act
- Establishes a statewide Local Election every November of odd-numbered years for non-partisan officers and local government ballot questions. (This includes: Village of Los Lunas, City of Belen, City of Rio Communities, Town of Peralta, Los Lunas Schools, Belen Consolidated Schools, UNM Valencia Advisory Board and Soil and Water Conservation District.)
- Establishes a Municipal Officer Election every March of even-numbered years. (Village of Bosque Farms only.)
- Establishes uniform procedures for special elections at other times of the year for ballot questions; all postage is pre-paid by business-reply mail (BRM).
- Provides for uniform election procedures for the call, conduct, and canvass of all elections, which align with what is already in place for the primary and general elections.