Solid Waste & Recycling
NOTICE OF CONEJO CLOSURE
Conejo Solid Waste Collection Center will be Closed
On Tuesday January 17, 2017 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It will reopen regular business hours on Wednesday, January 18, 2017. For additional information please contact 505-866-2472 or 505-866-8740.
The Conejo Collection Center is located near El Cerro Mission. Valencia County provides a Solid Waste Collection Center for household trash, scrap metals, and white goods (refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers etc.), but no construction debris.
The cost to residents for the use of the transfer station is $5 per truck load and will increase according to the size of the load.
ALL LOADS MUST BE TARPED OR SECURED
Loads not fully covered by a tarp or netting will be assessed a $4 “no tarp” fee.
Conejo Collection Center Acceptable Waste List
• Household & Normal Home- business activities
- Municipal Solid Waste
• Minimal household Construction & Demolition Debris
- Building Materials, roof shingles, wall board, mattresses, furniture, carpeting and underlay
*One pickup truck load of demolition debris may be accepted from a homeowner if it is determined that the waste was generated at the household only, and the nature, type, volume and density of the waste are acceptable to the foreman or supervisor
• White Goods & Metal
- Stoves, refrigerators, freezers, washers, washing machines, clothes driers, dishwashers, air conditioners, wire, cables, fencing
*Generated from domestic and commercial sources
DISCRETIONARY ACCEPTANCE WASTE
- Passenger car, Truck tires,
*Will not accept more than 3 tires per load not to exceed 9 in a full transfer trailer
• Clean Wood & Brush
- Wood, lumber, bark, woodchips, brush, edging, slash, sawdust and wood shavings
*Restrictions may be imposed on diameter, length of branches and brush
• Dense or Granular Materials
- Brick, concrete, countertops, Sand, gravel or other abrasive materials
*Other restrictions may be imposed on the amount or type of waste regardless of the amount of type of waste already accepted in the present load
*All loads will be inspected and only small quantities will be accepted as determined by staff
• Hazardous & Special waste
- Paints, motor oils, batteries, Solvents, Cleaners, degreaser, sludge, waste water, commercial chemical products, pharmaceutical products etc.…
Asbestos-containing materials will not be accepted, regardless of origin, quantity, or type
*Any special waste, hazardous waste, other materials that are prohibited by Federal and State law, or prohibited by the receiving solid waste facility are not accepted for disposal at Conejo Transfer Station. Conejo does not operate a household hazardous waste collection program
• Hot loads
- All loads will be inspected for Hot Loads. Hot Loads are solid wastes that are either smoldering, on fire, notably warm or hot to the touch, or have the potential to ignite into flames when delivered to the facility. In the event that a hot load is received it will be extinguished prior to disposal. Burn barrels showing evidence of burned MSW will not be accepted for disposal, drivers will be given verbal or written information concerning illegal waste burning and associated health hazards, and this information will be recorded and kept on file at Conejo. Fire extinguishers are available at the tipping area and gatehouse, and the site has functioning water well to aid in fire control.
NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR UNLOADING
Alternate Waste Disposal Locations
Valencia County does not operate these facilities, each has their own rules and costs
City of Belen Collection Center
135 Calle De Baca
Belen, NM 87031
Tuesday - Saturday
8 a.m. - Noon
12:30 - 5 p.m.
Sunday - Monday
Must purchase a punch card at Belen City Hall before dumping.
Montessa Part Convenience Center
3512 Los Picaros Road SE
Albuquerque, NM 87105
Sunday - Saturday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
No recyclables accepted.
40 Landfill Road
Los Lunas, NM 87031
Monday - Friday
7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday
Minimum charges apply. A deposit is required.
Valencia County Ordinance 2010-01 and subsequent updates, which can be found in Title V: Public Works, Chapter 50 addresses the policies and procedures that need to be followed for the collection and disposition of solid waste in Valencia County. Anyone who wishes to contract with a hauler for collection of solid waste, may contact the Valencia County Manager's Office for more information or for a list of current authorized haulers of solid waste.